Starter cranks intermittantly

Plandeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
8hp Nissan outboard model NSF8A2 EF2 with key start sometimes cranks and sometimes clicks. Does this mean the starter is failing and should be replaced or rebuilt? Any other cures or trouble shoot ideas?

Thanks!

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Most common issue for intermittent starting is corroded loose battery cables or ground. clean all battery connections first. If that does not solve it try connections on motor. If this does not remedy the problem the next step is a starter solenoid $ 15 to $40 then starter last. one last thought, How old is the battery and was it load tested?

pvanv

Admiral
Yes. Verify battery. Verify wiring. Then check solenoid, then finally the starter motor.

Plandeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
no...battery was not load tested...can this be done with multi meter?

Plandeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ps...when and how was I promoted from seaman first class to petty officer 3rd class?...lol

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
ps...when and how was I promoted from seaman first class to petty officer 3rd class?...lol

Did you sleep with the admiral? LOL I think it has something to do with the number of posts that you have, but I do not know where the list or breakdown is.

pvanv

Admiral
If fully charged, then use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of the battery. Load testing requires a load tester, but SG tells you a lot. Odds are the battery is OK, so verify each wire and connection in the system from battery to starter is OK. When it's acting up, you can jumper the solenoid to see if it always cranks OK. If all else passes, probably have a bad solenoid.

Plandeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the advice full of knowledge as usual...I will try swapping the house battery (which is newer) with the engine battery first to see if the condition persists.