Flywheel stuck and un-stuck, what next?

Bellabella

Recruit
My 2002 Tohatsu 40 hp suddenly just stopped with no prior warning last week. I've had absolutely no issues with it for the 5 years I've had it. Turned out the flywheel was stuck for some reason, so I removed the plugs and sprayed some lubricant into the holes and marinated the flywheel in lubricant too. I let it stew for a few days and then rocked the flywheel back and forth - eventually it started moving easily again. Now the engine starts nicely, but I haven't let it run for long at all since my father-in-law (who actually knows something about engines - unlike me...) said it'll just get stuck again and talked about pistons and connecting rods snapping and possibly flying about.

Just before the problem I had been fiddling with the gear and throttle cables because the throttle was a bit stiff, don't know if and how this could be related to the flywheel issue.

Any ideas what the issue might be here? Is it a risk to have the engine running?

pvanv

Admiral
Is your actual model M40D, or MD40B? (Is it a TLDI?). If you ran without oil, that could cause the motor to get stuck. Also, a severe overheat could do that. Now that it is free, you should be OK, as long as you are lubricating OK.

Bellabella

Recruit
The model is M40C, not sure about the TLDI bit, but it's 2-stroke for sure.

I doubt that I ran without oil, I've certainly never forgotten to add it before...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How old is that horese ? was it used lightly, severely through the years ? Does the motor makes a notorious audible sound when running through the throttle range ?

Could have crankshaft bearing issues on their way to become kaput. If runs good use it, just add the right amount of 2 strokes oil with fuel for a neat 50:1 mix.

Happy Boating