Removing mounted remote from tohatsu 9.9hp

vdotmatrix

Seaman
I bought a new fuel injected 9.9 without the remote. I have to remove the old remote and control cabling. It is disconnected from cockpit and i opened the smaller panel exposing the control cable ends which are held in place with clips. To remove, would i feed the cable from the transom or disconnect clips from remote?

1. Disconnect negative leads at the batteries. 2. Trace wires from remote to the batteries. 3.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
I have some electrical wiring to deal with as well as remove the control cables...

Attachments

• photo316844.jpg
    photo316844.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316845.jpg
    photo316845.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316846.jpg
    photo316846.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming your new model is MFS9.9EEFL. The motor will have a battery cable. That will be used to start the motor, and for charging the battery.That is all. No extra hocus pocus.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
i appreciate your response. is the male plug pictured the battery supply? i am trying to minimize any extra holes and hardware drilling . the remote is disconnected at the cable clips inside? thank you
Assuming your new model is MFS9.9EEFL. The motor will have a battery cable. That will be used to start the motor, and for charging the battery.That is all. No extra hocus pocus.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
Assuming your new model is MFS9.9EEFL. The motor will have a battery cable. That will be used to start the motor, and for charging the battery. That is all. No extra hocus pocus.

Paul! Thank you! Thanks for your patience through this process. Of course, you were right about the battery cable. Anticlimactic... So I completely disconnected the remote, shoved the cables and harnesses into the passthrough. I have to figure out how to disconnect the existing remote harness wiring and connect the simple TOHATSU battery cable to the vessel's power management system.

I may have to remove the entire aft panel to see the big picture for wiring.

thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
No clue whT The PO did... sorry. The battery cables need to be robust...

vdotmatrix

Seaman
Paul, here are some images of the current setup. It is a Sierra plug that they stock at our west marine:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sier...otor-side-trolling-motor-socket-12v--10528487
or AMAZON
https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-Trolling-V-Groove-WH10600-1/dp/B073S73Q78

looks like we added this 6-8 guage Sierra plug to the battery cable using some kind of butt connector?

looks like a big difference in cables:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/_3iN5Y2mRMS782Tm-3yvJg.5VfcWXp8kQHbr9ccN5nvkM

Any ideas in do this?

pvanv

Admiral
The Tohatsu cables are probably 6 ga. But the 9.9 only draws maybe 20 or 30 when cranking, so, if you want to pull the motor seasonally, that connector should be OK.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
The Tohatsu cables are probably 6 ga. But the 9.9 only draws maybe 20 or 30 when cranking, so, if you want to pull the motor seasonally, that connector should be OK.

Our cruisers run year round... that connector has been on that cruiser for 16 years ... Paul thanks for helping me.