no water to powerhead in mid 80's honda bf 100 (9.9hp)

fishslayer73

Cadet
Here is the back story. I bought this motor used under the premise that it needed carb cleaning and a new impeller. I changed the impeller and housing, cleaned the carb and it fired right up and purrs like a kitten. Now the problem. I am not getting water out of the pee hole so I removed the intake and found rubber chunks (impeller) by the thermostat and pluging the pee hole port. I tried flushing all water ports and can not get water to run backwards out of the water tube. When I changed the impeller and housing There was what looked like a new impeller but the old housing was full of impeller chunks as if the previous owner had run a bad impeller and then changed to a new one sending chunks into the motor. I am looking for any ideas you all may have as to how to unplug this problem. Thanks to all, Jason.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was that motor used on fresh or salt water ? Old impeller chunks could be living already inside the cylinder head and exhaust cover water paths which you don't intend to remove any time soon to find that out.

Does the motor counts with a built in bolt type flushing port that can be removed, if so, remove thermo if having one, put lid back on and connect an air hose on flushing port and flush with compressed air set to 30 PSI to blow out said obstruction if possible.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was that motor used on fresh or salt water ? Old impeller chunks could be living already inside the cylinder head and exhaust cover wather paths if having one, which you don't intend to remove any time soon to find that out.

Does the motor counts with a built in bolt type flushing port that can be removed, if so, remove thermo if having one, put lid back on and connect an air hose on flushing port and flush with compressed air set to 30 PSI to blow out said obstruction if possible.

Happy Boating

fishslayer73

Cadet
I am not sure about the salt water use but i will try removing the the thermo and try to get things blown out. Thanks again, Jason.

ahicks

Captain
Salt water or not, I would suggest that while blowing it out, you remove the lower unit/water pump so that any pieces of that impeller are blown out. Otherwise, they can be blown back towards the pump, only to be washed right back into areas where they shouldn't be when started.

fishslayer73

Cadet
Thanks to everyone for your help. We got creative with wire, air and water pressure and were able to push the clogged impeller pieces backwards down and out of the power head where the water tube meets the block. Water is flowing great. thanks again, Jason