Tohatsu 140, horn at 2700rpm

adam1psu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks in advance, outboard is a 2002 tohatsu 140 auto mix, only in gear I get a warning horn with a constant beep at 2700 rpm, the motor then shutters like it has hit a Rev limiter, motor has good compression 185 and above, telltale is strong with spray and otherwise motor runs fine. Yes there is oil in the tank and no indicators are poping up on my control gage. Can't find specifics on this in manual or even a horn warning chart. I also ran it with gas cap open just incase there was a vent problem. I also recently ran all new fuel line and a new fuel filter/water seperator. I also checked filter on the outboard too. Thanks for any advice.

pvanv

Admiral
Low oil level indicator will cause that. So will clogged water intake. P61 of your manual.

adam1psu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, l read the manual, but will review it again and post up as I try to figure it out.

adam1psu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After thinking about the posibilities, I think it is water pressure related, the oil tank is half full, it is not overheating.....the horn sounds immediately while unloading from the trailer. So here is a question, the tell tale sprays hard with water leading me to believe the impeller is working properly. Can I unplug the water pressure switch to see if this stops? Any input would be helpful.....thanks

adam1psu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To clarify the horn sounds at 2700 rpm as soon as it's off the trailer.

pvanv

Admiral
After thinking about the posibilities, I think it is water pressure related, the oil tank is half full, it is not overheating.....the horn sounds immediately while unloading from the trailer. So here is a question, the tell tale sprays hard with water leading me to believe the impeller is working properly. Can I unplug the water pressure switch to see if this stops? Any input would be helpful.....thanks

Yes.