Hydraulic steering question

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My steering wheel is getting hard to turn , is it just an add of some fluid at that cap at the wheel or do I have to use a grease gun at those fittings back at that slide rack where the outboard is. I noticed two fittings there.
Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know which system you have but if it has a fill cap at the helm, just add fluid there to fill it up. If it hasn't lost so much there is air in the lines you should be good. Just turn the helm one side to the other to help bleed

pvanv

Admiral
If it's hard to turn. probably not low fluid. Grease the fittings.

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If it's hard to turn. probably not low fluid. Grease the fittings.

Thanks for the advice. Embarrassed to say this but I have really never used a grease a gun before and I bought one from harbor freight yesterday but could not seem to seem to get the grease to come out . My friend at the dock with the boat next to me couldn’t either. It also didn’t seem like the coupler would fit onto the grease fittings. Is there a better grease gun or specific one I should get ?

thanks again

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Don't know which system you have but if it has a fill cap at the helm, just add fluid there to fill it up. If it hasn't lost so much there is air in the lines you should be good. Just turn the helm one side to the other to help bleed

I opened the cap to check and fluid came out so I closed it back up. Does that happen because the lines are pressurized?

alldodge

Staff member
Did you get grease cartridge with the gun? Was the grease cartridge installed and then remove the metal cap?

Don't know which system you have

Post a pic of it

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the same system on my 1875 Lund Crossover . There is a fill hole on the dash but no dip stick .
I just got the boat has a 150 mec outboard ,and I also find the steering very hard compared to my old bayliner that has a inboard engine.

pvanv

Admiral
Thanks for the advice. Embarrassed to say this but I have really never used a grease a gun before and I bought one from harbor freight yesterday but could not seem to seem to get the grease to come out . My friend at the dock with the boat next to me couldn’t either. It also didn’t seem like the coupler would fit onto the grease fittings. Is there a better grease gun or specific one I should get ?

thanks again

Go back to HF and explain, and have them help you get grease coming out of the gun. The tip snaps onto the fittings.