Steering hydraulic question

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My steering wheel is getting hard to turn , is it just an add of some fluid at that cap at the wheel or do I have to use a grease gun at those fittings back at that slide rack where the outboard is. I noticed two fittings there.
Thank you

ahicks

Captain
It could be the motor trying to seize up on you, or something in the linkage/hydraulics. To troubleshoot, you pretty much need to disconnect the steering linkage at the motor. Then see if the wheel turns easily. If it does, then try turning the motor. One or the other is going to resist, and depending on which, that will point you in the direction you need to go.

The 2 fittings easily seen on an outboard are for the tilt. There is very often another fitting below those, and to the rear of the transom to lube the engine's swivel tube.

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It could be the motor trying to seize up on you, or something in the linkage/hydraulics. To troubleshoot, you pretty much need to disconnect the steering linkage at the motor. Then see if the wheel turns easily. If it does, then try turning the motor. One or the other is going to resist, and depending on which, that will point you in the direction you need to go.

The 2 fittings easily seen on an outboard are for the tilt. There is very often another fitting below those, and to the rear of the transom to lube the engine's swivel tube.

So filler cap at the helm if low would cause steering difficulty also correct. I would think that is the first place to check right.?

ahicks

Captain
Anything is possible, but I would think if the fluid were low to the point it makes a difference, the steering might become sloppy - not tight.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If with low fluid, fill it up. After that, check both ends as suggested, if the swivel bracket's internal grease has become hardened over time along having an excessive friction load on the SB will produce unwanted resistance when steering. Grease well all sliding and rotating parts to work properly as they should.

Happy Boating

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First off Thanks for reaching out sea rider. When you say grease everything ,you mean just the zerk fittings correct. At quick glance I only found two zerk fittings on that seastar system. I think they are called pivot points but not sure ,one on each side