Fuel pump

Phildaddy

Cadet
I have a 2013 Honda 40 hp four stroke fuel injected motor. Motor will run by spraying starting fluid. High pressure fuel pump wouldn’t make the load up sound when you turn the key to on. Put a new fuel pump in that was tested and it still won’t make the “load up” sound. Any ideas? All it does is make a “click” sound in there somewhere. Thanks

ahicks

Captain
I have no experience on the fuel injected engine, but maybe I can give you some ideas?
When you say "load up" sound, are you talking about the sound the fuel pump makes when running dry vs. the normal sound it makes when running normally?

If the high pressure pump sounds like it's running dry, I would start looking for a fuel starvation issue. That could be anywhere from the tank to the pump you just replaced. Does the noise change when you squeeze the primer bulb in the fuel line?

Phildaddy

Cadet
I am talking a bout loading up like normal when it loads up with fuel when you turn the key to home before it starts. The new top also made only a clicking sound but one time I turn the key on and the fuel pump loaded up with fuel and it cranked like a top . Twice it has shut off just like you turn the key off while running and when you tried to crank it again the fuel pump does not make the load up sound when you turn the key home something is not telling it to pump.