1998 Honda BF90 Hydraulic Tilt not working

imported_erick

Seaman Apprentice
The beginning of this season my Hydraulic Tilt worked when I put my motor down for my first trip. It has gotten stuck at up or down where I need to go the opposite way to get it to go (click up for a second, then down, or vice versa). It actually stopped working during my trip (pump made noise but no movement). It then started working. When I got home I filled the fluid. There was allot of air that escaped when I unscrewed the fill cover and fluid with bubbles came out (not milky). I filled, raised, lowered several times, putting the cap back on while raising and lowering (otherwise the fluid all came out) each time air came out when i opened cap.

Yesterday I went out, came in and I could not get my engine up (pump makes noise but no movement). I drove home with engine down and when I got home tried the tilt again and it went right up. Any thoughts?

Thanks - Erick

ahicks

Captain
Sounds like you've go some air bubbles in the system. Hopefully they'll work themselves out in normal usage, but that's not a given. You may have to have somebody pull that unit down to get rid of al the air. I'm just about ready to do that to my 90.....

That motor will go all the way up normally. Going down from the fully up position requires I loosen the emergency valve and lower it about half way. From there, until I raise it all the way up again, it works normally. Yes, have checked the fluid several times.