Good replacement for 2003 9.9 Tohatsu outboard

vdotmatrix

Seaman
I have had it with the motor. I found some videos on my computer of this motor acting up in 2016.

I read that Tohatsu is coming out with a fuel injected 9.9hp outboard.

Anyone like this?We are sticking with Tohatsu because the remote is Tohatsu....

pvanv

Admiral
What is your actual model, and what is the issue? Yes, the 9.9/15/20E are solid efi motors. I have sold a few. No issues.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Also curious what the issue is, and if it's a four stroke. I have one and it's been fine once I got the carb cleaned out properly. I know a couple folks who have the new fuel injected ones and they do like them. They are also lighter than the older motors.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
We brought the motor 4 times to the service shop here in DC. Each time they ran it in a tank and each time they said they could not find anything wrong with the motor and sent a bill for a bout an hour labor.....you would think they would have checked the carbs that haven't been serviced in 16 years.

So here i am about to buy a new fuel injected outboard from online outboards in TN.

i read some where that the old motor’s carbs needed to have something drilled out because they ran lean so i will rebuild that carb and do whatever i need to do.

​​​​​​​

pvanv

Admiral
Your irrational rant is nothing that we can help you with. You did not note model, and did not give a symptom. That motor would only have one carburetor. If it is an MFS9.9, it is possible that it is et a bit lean for EPA compliance, but a good cleaning should make it work fine.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
Thanks paul...its the same motor as the subject line, sorry, the same motor i have described in another post here somewhere...

i need to post something before i buy this motor... thx

pvanv

Admiral
Hey dot... We need your actual model, not year. And some symptoms...

pvanv

Admiral
OK, so have a competent shop do a Proper cleaning on the carb, and if needed, install a carb kit. The proper cleaning includes a complete disassembly of all carb jets, emulsion tube nozzle, etc. followed by an overnight soak in real carb dip, followed by a liberal blow out with generic carb spray, and then a careful reassembly, including verification of float height.