Honda 40 Hp fuel pump

Phildaddy

Cadet
I’m pretty sure I need a fuel pump for a 40 HP Honda and wanted to check the price but can find one on the net. Where can I go to find one? Thanks

ahicks

Captain
These pumps are pretty reliable as a rule. I'd eliminate any possibility of other problems prior to replacing one for sure. Here's the part number: [h=2]16700-ZW1-004[/h]

Phildaddy

Cadet
Thanks. When you turn the key on, does the pump just click or can you here it load up?

Phildaddy

Cadet
Put in a new fuel pump but only thing I hear when the key is turned on is a click. Fuel pump doesn’t make the “load up” sound. 🤷‍♂️

HH3F

Cadet
I have a 97 Honda BF50a carbed.
I had a fuel problem. New Line bulb and filter, Also cleaned the carbs. (re-used the iffy manifold gasket) I have good pressure from bulb to filter, but I can only keep it running if I have it 1/2 choked. Fuel Pump?

ahicks

Captain
I have a 97 Honda BF50a carbed.
I had a fuel problem. New Line bulb and filter, Also cleaned the carbs. (re-used the iffy manifold gasket) I have good pressure from bulb to filter, but I can only keep it running if I have it 1/2 choked. Fuel Pump?

Only keep it running on the idle, or keep it running at a higher speed? Dicey gaskets can cause a vacuum leak. A big enough leak is going to have you pulling your hair out at lower rpm. Easy to check for sure though. With the engine running in a well ventilated area, squirt ether around where the gaskets go. Doesn't need to be anything precision. You'll hear the engine change sound/speed if sprayed near a leak.

If that doesn't help, go back into the carb and have a better look at the low speed jet in the bottom of the tube in the middle of the carb, that runs from top to bottom. Those are about the size of a human whisker and MUST be clear to get the engine running right. Also, the tiny o-ring that reside on the top of that tube need to fit snug, or the vacuum is not going to be able to pull fuel from the float bowl correctly.

When I first started doing these carbs, there were a couple of sets I had to go back into several times to get them right! Many pros won't mess with cleaning them, they automatically replace them on any carb clean they do. Myself, I'm not in that big a hurry for what they cost.... -Al

HH3F

Cadet
Well was not a manifold leak. New gasket same result. I know the low speed jet in the bottom of the tube your talking about. Got the plug off and have access. but I can't figure out how they come out of the body of the carb ?

Attachments

• carb needle and jet.jpg
    carb needle and jet.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
The jet is in the bottom of #19
With #11 removed, the only thing holding it in is a tiny o-ring on top of the tube (#2). You can carefully reach into the carb throat from the choke side with a small screwdriver and "persuade" that tube (and the much bigger #20 tube) out through the bottom. Makes sure that #2 o-ring isn't damaged or cracked as part of your inspection, and provides a snug fit when reinstalled. If you are replacing it, put a drop of oil on it (to make it slide into place easier) so you don't damage it. If that o-ring doesn't seal the tube to the carb body, the cleanest jet in the world will still not supply fuel on the idle properly.

HH3F

Cadet
Thanks again. Pulled off the carbs again today. What a mess. Got those tubes out. All cleaned up and re-assembled. The fuel filter is new, the water fuel separator is new, fuel line and primer bulb are new. Going to drain the fuel tank and clean it out and start with fresh fuel before I re-run it.

Attachments

• photo320212.jpg
    photo320212.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo320213.jpg
    photo320213.jpg
  • photo320215.jpg
    photo320215.jpg