50 hp tldi tohatsu

50 hp tohatsu tdil

there is a ground wire that connects the engine to the mounting bracket on allunmin boats this makes the boat the ground and has caused the boat to start leaking from rivets and other places any help with this

pvanv

Admiral
All outboards have grounded brackets to reduce corrosion. You can install a rubber pad to isolate the hull if needed. It is highly doubtful that your rivets are leaking because of that.

I have this motor on a 16 ft smokercraft and I have galvalicent corrosion as a serious problem with holes in the bottom of the boat and transom the motor has been on the boat for 3+ years. Before that I had a Johnson on it for 6 + years, no leaks

pvanv

Admiral
Is there a sacrificial anode on the boat? There should be.

pvanv

Admiral
Sounds like a different issue, Maybe stray currents in the slip at the marina, or a leaking battery charger.

pvanv

Admiral
Nope. If there isn't any electrical system on the boat, ground is irrelevant. Also, the transom clamp will always be ground, even without that wire. Something else is wrong.

pvanv

Admiral
If he didn't use a galvanometer, or at least a very good analog ohm meter, there is no reason to assume that the hull was becoming a part of the 12 volt system.

motor eating the boat

I am looking for any one that has a 50 hp tldi toahsu on aluminum boat trying to find out if I am the only having this problem which is the boat being the ground and its causing galvaninitc corrosion, with holes in the bottom and transom of the boat.i have pictures if necessary.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved the new thread into your original thread.

Is any of the electrical equipment grounded through the hull? That is a sure way to feed the tin worms.

nothing is grounded to the boat that I know of in fact I removed every thing and hooked up every one thing at a time and nothing until I hookup the motor