DONT SAY POLTERGEIST: Tohatsu 9.9 faint high pitched noise only when in gear

vdotmatrix

Seaman
My outboard will make a faint high pitched squeal only when put into gear. It is so faint you won't hear it once the RPMs come up.

Any ideas?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When gearing forward is the gearing operation smooth or with an audible clack to the ear ?

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
What is your actual model/serial? There are differences, depending on whether it's a 2-stroke, carbed 4-stroke, or EFI 4-stroke.

The 9.8A3 was known for a whistle in the intake air silencer around 2000 RPM.

Has this happened right along, or is this something new? What have you done to address the whistle, and what were the effects?

vdotmatrix

Seaman
What is your actual model/serial? There are differences, depending on whether it's a 2-stroke, carbed 4-stroke, or EFI 4-stroke.

Has this happened right along, or is this something new? What have you done to address the whistle, and what were the effects?

(mss9.9b2) 9.9 hp

I don't have the serial number, but I have people complaining about this noise that seems to be getting louder or at least more noticible.

pvanv

Admiral
The MFS9.9B2 (4-stroke) could whistle through the intake, but I've not seen that.

vdotmatrix

Seaman

I went to a tohatsu motor forum , wait I am here! I haven’t done anything , just waiting for something to happen.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The 2 strokes 9.8 was known to whistle through the carb, but this is a 9.9 different horse. Does it continues with the high pitched squeal. Only happens at low rpm and quits at higher ones ?

To be sure remove the cowl, put your ear close to carb and throttle, check if the noise is coming from the carb silencer or not ?

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
The 2 strokes 9.8 was known to whistle through the carb, but this is a 9.9 different horse. Does it continues with the high pitched squeal. Only happens at low rpm and quits at higher ones ?

To be sure remove the cowl, put your ear close to carb and throttle, check if the noise is coming from the carb silencer or not ?

Happy Boating

The MFS9.8A3 and the MFS9.9B2 are completely different blocks.