Honda 2006 2 hp prop removal

thatone123

Banned
This question almost seems stupid, but I cannot get the prop off of this outboard. IT is a 1 piece prop. I have used pentrating oil and pounded it to death from the front and it still stays on there???

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is that prop the one with an end cone and a split pin that locks it to the prop shaft ? Is it plastic or metal ? Post a pic if possible..

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming you have model BF2D. See p50 of your owners manual. The prop is shear-pin driven. Remove the large cotter retainer pin, and the prop will fall off.

thatone123

Banned
Yes, I have taken off many props on other larger outboards. Cotter pin was removed first thing and still the prop stays on?

thatone123

Banned
The guy I got this from said the motor was dropped and that broke the prop which seems suspect. To break that large portion of the base of the prop would take a lot of force and there are scrapes on the other blades like they were rubbed by a rock or something before the other blade broke off. Maybe this is why it cannot (it seems) be removed?, and why he sold it.

Attachments

• DSC00617_edited-1.jpg
    DSC00617_edited-1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0

thatone123

Banned
The indents on the flange part of the lower unit are from me trying with a pry bar to force the prop off? Do not have an owners manual.

pvanv

Admiral
The shear pin is probably jammed between the prop shaft and the prop. Since the prop is shot anyway, might be easiest to cut the old prop off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Folks in the great north would have no trouble getting that off.-----A small axe and a block of wood.

thatone123

Banned
Shear pin came out so don't think it is jammed in there....Might have to cut it off. Hate to chance damaging it as it is a good condition outboard. Have taken many of these small outboards with shear pins and removed prop easily. Mostly OMC hummmm. I think the force from the hit on the prop did this.

thatone123

Banned
Once again I prove my contention that 3 hp are harder to work on than 300 hp. I can't believe how hard it was to get this punk prop off. Unbelievable is the fact that once I got it off I just stuck it back on to see the fit or maybe what was wrong with it and IT GOT STUCK ON AGAIN!!!!!!!! I pried if off once more cussing this genius engineering and am done with it til I get my new prop in the mail. See attatchment.

Attachments

• DSC00618_edited-1.jpg
    DSC00618_edited-1.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 0

thatone123

Banned
Now, where is the shear pin??? The hub is still on the prop shaft, but I see no shear pin. There is a hole that looks like it would go there but the hole is too close to the prop shaft housing it appears.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The prop is so damaged that's of no interest at this point where's the shear pin ? Will need to cut the prop remnant in pieces to remove it completly from the shaft. See if possible to heat the remnant with a propane torch while pulling it out. Just don't overheat...

Doesnt't matter if it's a small or huge prop, you need to grease the entire prop shaft with marine grease when installing, reinstalling or removing a factory delivered prop. When prop seizes oh boy....

Happy Boating

thatone123

Banned
That damaged prop is removed, I just put it there so it could be seen as to what it took to get it off. The metal part is still there and does that need to be removed or does it stay? I see no shear pin anywhere and that is what I don't get. There is a a spare shear pin and cotton pins on a rubber holder put on factory, so there must be a shear pin in the prop hub, right? The metal hub holds the prop on with very large thick splines or nubs. So maybe that was a newer design that did not need shear pins but the spares were left on the motor? See photo on page 2

Last edited:

thatone123

Banned
OK, so here is the mystery. Model/Serial is BZBF 1400502 and the schematic does not show from what I can see a large splined hub like this. So does it use a shear pin? SEE PHOTO

Attachments

• DSC00619_edited-1.jpg
    DSC00619_edited-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

thatone123

Banned
This must be part of the prop although you can't make that out on the schematics either. The hub is not rusted and moves freely like it is being held on by something that might be a shear pin….but there seems to be no access to the pin??????

Last edited:

thatone123

Banned
Well, just like I figured, here is a photo of the new prop that just arrived and it does not fit at all. There must be another prop with the metal hub as a Honda parts dealer told me that. But still how do I get the old metal hub off without destroying the shaft etc. What A MESS.

Attachments

• DSC00621_edited-1.jpg
    DSC00621_edited-1.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is the new prop plastic or metal made ? Shear pins locks rear of prop to the shaft on props that don't have a middle hub, as there's a hub will doubt that uses a shear pin, must use a split pin at prop's front for sure. Seems the hub is super seized to the prop shaft.. See if can use a bearing extractor to pull it out without harm.?

Happy Boating

thatone123

Banned
Parts guy who sold me the prop says it fits only the BF2 not the BZBF like the one I have. I think the F at the end means FU,,, He gave me a part # for one that he says will fit mine that they don't have so where can I get it. Honda OM parts he says. No the hub wiggles on the shaft so not sized. This mess screws up everything I have experienced with props which is many of many sizes and types. Go figure. New prop that is in photo is total cheap plastic.