1999 Tohatsu M40D2 tilt/trim problem

PatSea

Cadet
I'm having a problem with the tilt/trim on this motor. The tilt cylinder will tilt it all the way down, but will not raise it up. The only way I can get the motor tilted up is by turning the screw valve to manual and lifting the engine up. It sure seems like it's a trapped air problem. I followed the procedure in the service manual of lifting the engine 5 or 6 times checking the oil level at the end of each of these sets of 6. I have done two sets of 6 times lifting and I did add some ATF oil at one point. Each time I let the engine down slowly I can hear what sounds like air bubbling inside for a few seconds. It seems like the amount of bubbling that I can hear is significantly less than when I began but the cylinder still wont raise the engine. I read somewhere on here where it is difficult and time consuming to bleed the air out of the system. Do I just need to do more of these up/down cycles. If the problem isn't air in the system how do I determine the cause?

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming the pump is running OK, yes, you probably still need to bleed more air. Tilt the motor up and see if you need to refill. Then put the filler plug in, and repeat a few times.

PatSea

Cadet
Ok. will do. The tilt motor seems to run fine. I'll do more up/down cycles checking the fluid level. What causes the air t get in the system? Is there something I can do to prevent this problem in the future? Thanks.

PatSea

Cadet
OK so I just did 6 more up down cycles and the tilt will still not raise the engine. Goes down fine. When I hit the up switch I can see a momentary lurch upward like it wants to go up but then it stops. With the valve on manual
​​each time I let the motor down by hand I could hear bubbling and gurgling for 2 or 3 seconds. Sure sounds like air in the system and I can't get rid of it. I did add 2 or 3 ozs of fluid again. Each time I add fluid is that needed to replace the air that is being released? I just don't know if I'm making any progress? Should I continue with the up/down cycling? Is air getting in the system as I'm doing all this work? Thanks.
​​​

pvanv

Admiral
Yep. Keep adding as required. Then run the tilt motor and see how far you have gotten. It can be a pain to purge all the air.