MFS4CD water pipe assembly Replacement the t

lb4599

Recruit
Has anyone had to replace water pipe assembly, on a 4 hp long shaft.Do I get in from
the top??? Removing the head to get under? Could use some help tried everything I know? Mahalo!
Here's a pic of the part I need to replace

Attachments

• photo307243.jpg
    photo307243.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
On the MFS 4/5/6 A/B/C, swapping the water pipe involves pulling the power head.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How old is the engine to have developed such water tube corrosion ?

The black rubber grommet is secured side of the lower base where the powerhead rests on.. Will need to disassemble the powerhead and the lower leg.

If not mistaken on that model lower water pipe must pass through a plate with a hole located at lower middle section before sittting grommet on its base so water pump grommet aligns well with lower water tube exiting when reassembling back.

Will need to order a new base gasket as are quite thin and must be already dried or even burnt out. Torque tight powerhead lower bolts with wrench, retorque bolts after one hour use has elapsed...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

lb4599

Recruit
2012 not that old. I use it only in salt water. Hawaii, kauai.Flush an take care of it really well. Don't know what happen. Looks tight in there.any advice on how to proceed, steps,what to remove 1st or whatever.

pvanv

Admiral
Here is the parts diagram. The power head will come off (yes, you want a new base gasket for reassembly), and drop the LU so you can see what you are doing.
002-21046-8_FIG08.JPG

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Paul,

What are your thoughts about removing just the powerhead, pull out the old grommet and water tube, insert the new ones in on base and be lucky for lower tube to pass middle section and insert itself on the water pump grommet ?

If going that route, check if water pump is working, will save the PITA of dropping and reassembling back the lower leg if without any previous experience whatsoever. LOL!!

OP will be much surprised if he knew how much salt layers can be formed inside all water paths on any OB running in salt water no matter how well is the OB flushed with fresh water soon after returning from boating. If that water tube is severely salted/corroded, don't want to imagine the internals..

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
If the water pump is a couple of years old, it should renewed with a kit now anyways. If not, yes, you could slide the water pipe in from above, if careful to seat it in the wp grommet.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, it is very easy, but the power head does need to come off, per Paul's statement.

Here is what it looks like under the powerhead and this shows the bracket midway down the housing the the waterpipe needs to run though (and the correct hole for it)

MFS_water_pipe.jpg