MFS9.9B2 Swivel friction

vdotmatrix

Seaman
i reinstalled the 9.9hp outboard on the 25ft catalina after a trip to the shop. It seems they fiddled with the friction setting because now the motor can swing port to starboard with much less force. The lever in left position is locked, the lever in right position to losen. It is mounted to be stationary.

question: to increase tension to lock the motor in place, do i simply tighten the lock nut on the lever?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you want it to be fully stationary and if not mistaken thare's a kit that will do that. If you adjust nut extremely tight will end warping the steering shaft.. This info is for 2 strokes model, assume that 4 strokes is same ?

Happy Boating

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
The key word is "friction". The steering friction is not designed to completely lock the motor in place. That could be a dangerous thing to do which is why it wasn't designed to lock the motor in a fixed position. It's only designed to increase/decrease the turning tension

vdotmatrix

Seaman
Thanks for the responses.

I took it in and I had no issues with the motor swiveling with a mind of its own.

The motor is back and the motor NOW swivels more on its own.

Does anyone here know what adjustments I need to make to increase the force needed to swivel the motor like before; I turn the boat with the tiller.

thank you

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you're driving a tiller control boat and need to increase the load on the swivel bracket along tiller, there's 1/2 inch light gray bolt located around middle swivel bracket, turn it with proper wrench CW to increase load or CCW to decrease load, will feel the load difference as is being adjusted +,-

When at speed the lower leg locks somewhat and achieves more load due to water drag, I tiller steer my boat with the load OFF, on plane adjusts itself to a point that combo will go forward on a straight line, but that's me..

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Dot,

I believe that your motor has the "co-pilot" steering friction lever. That is a friction clamp at the front of the motor. The lever operates a nylock nut (13) about 1/4 turn. It applies "brakes" (7) to the co-pilot plate (8) as the nut is tightened. I personally like that system, but some folks would over-tighten it and wreck it, so in later models, it was removed in favor of the friction bolt on the side of the midsection housing that is used on many other models. You can adjust that nut about an additional 1/4 turn if the shop released it.
002-21047-4_FIG18.JPG

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although OB can swig to either side with minimum effort when at neutral or at a very slow sped, check if at higher or wot speed the load is increased and not need to do any further load adjustment. If the load is increased much will tire your hand specially on very long cruises when in need to constantly correct water courses. Check and decide latter..

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Luis, No. The sailboat steers via the rudder. He only wants dead-ahead setting on the OB. If the steering friction cannot be attained, one can remove that system and install the Steering Lock Kit, which locks the motor dead ahead.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Paul, according to OP's last post : I turn the boat with the tiller. With a tiller you can turn a boat as well. Should have meant rudder instead ?

Happy Boating

vdotmatrix

Seaman
I remedied the situation by tightening #13 which controls the pressure on #8.

And no...you don’t turn your car with the wheels or rack and pinion, you turn the car with the steering wheel right?

I turn the boat with the tiller. Thanks y’all.

pvanv

Admiral
I remedied the situation by tightening #13 which controls the pressure on #8.

And no...you don’t turn your car with the wheels or rack and pinion, you turn the car with the steering wheel right?

I turn the boat with the tiller. Thanks y’all.

Yup. Should be good. Just don't over-tighten that nut. The lever should be able to release the friction. If you need more, a steering lock kit is in order.