Preventive maintenance /winterization questions on Honda 130

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This was my first season with my first four stroke after only having two strokes. I brought the boat to a local Honda dealership/mechanic because I figured until I knew what I was doing I would have them do everything. I had them change the water pump and stats because I could not verify when they were done last. I also told them to change all the filters, oils, plugs, and winterize the boat. At $125 per hour labor rate I am sure I am going to have a sizable bill. In the future I would like to at least change filters, plugs, and oil/gearcase. What is the best way to identify how many filters there are and anything else you could think of that may be helpful to me.
thanks

ahicks

Captain
I think once you check into it further, you'll find that the carbed 130's are pretty simple straight forward engines (thankfully!) that DIY'ers shouldn't have too much trouble with.

Unless you are using the boat a LOT, you may not find annual lower unit oil change and filter changes aren't necessary. You do want to check the lower unit for water, but if there is none, you're likely good to go until next season by just putting the drain plug back in.

For winterizing I would change the oil and oil filter, check the lower unit for water, and drain the carbs (see the manual). I generally remove the prop, check the shaft in back of the prop for fishing line (fishing line can tear up that seal very quickly), grease the shaft, and re-install the prop. Store the motor fully down so water can't collect and freeze inside.