1987 Honda BF9.9A no Spark

MONA KIA

Recruit
Hey all,

I have a 1987 bf9.9a honda with no spark. Last time i used the engine it was working great. This was 2 months ago in the fall. I also had just replaced the spark plugs as they fouled on me once. The new plugs worked perfect as it started up first pull after installing them. Now since then the motor has been lifted out out the water on an angle so it stays out of the salt.

When I went to the boat the other day I lowered the motor and tried starting it with the choke. Nothing. Pulled the plugs gave them a spray of WD40 and put them back in. Still nothing. But Noting that I could see the engine oil light flicker as I pulled on the engine. I took the spark plugs out to look to see if there was a spark. Couldn't see any spark. (I had done this in the past when it fowled and I saw a spark after cleaning them) I read about the sensor pickups on the cam shaft being an issue so I polished them with sandpaper. Still nothing. Not sure where to go from here.

I hate spark problems. Please help.

Cheers
-ZAC

Alumarine

Captain
It's very difficult to see the spark on those motors.
It has to be virtually dark to see the spark.

What I'm suggesting is you might actually have spark but another problem.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Don't ever spray WD-40 on plug tip. If too oily spark will be reduced or not fire at all.

If you want to check the spark intensity get yourself a spark tester, the one with a translucent bulb, remove all spark plugs from powerhead, connect tester to each ignition coil output, tape the other cap extreme, test at a dark room, garage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spark Check.JPG Views:	1 Size:	155.6 KB ID:	10681054

or place a towel, blanket on top powerhead, have a mate pull rope or electric starter and check spark. If sparks strong and bluish, much better.

Happy Boating

MONA KIA

Recruit
Thanks for the tips guys! Yea I had read that wd40 does help but I do believe what you are saying. I cleaned the plugs and tried the spark test with a hood. I saw spark. I think the issue was lack of gas getting to the motor. I pumped the ball really hard and it fired up. Good ole Honda still purs. I think I need to buy a new one way ball pump.

Cheers
Zac