Shift rod stuck

SCG108

Recruit
Hi, I have a two Tohatsu 35hp mid 80's I was told and one of them I just can't get the shift rod free the first engine no problem but this one stuck. Sorry I can't upload a photo as it won't allow me but any idea before I do something stupid and stuff it up

pvanv

Admiral
Gotta be pretty ancient. In the US, there was never a 35 hp model from the late 80's to current production. I assume what you have is a single-carburetor, 2-cylinder, water-cooled motor. Odds are there is a shift rod coupler that can be disconnected to drop the lower unit. If so, disconnecting that coupler will allow you to determine whether the shift rod (upper) is stuck, or if the cam rod (lower) is stuck.

Beware that no parts are available. Unless you can cross reference the water pump or impeller, once that needs repair (about 3 years from new), the motor is done.

SCG108

Recruit
Thanks Paul, I can get the impeller no problem it's just the brass coupling and the shift rod seam to be welded together.l'm in Australia that's probably why you have seen it I know I can't get parts but I'm one of those guy who just want to get it going

pvanv

Admiral
You will probably need a 3mm punch to push out the stainless pin from the brass coupler.