Honda BF25A purpose of screw inwater inlet screens

PeekRhol

Recruit
I have a Honda BF25A 25HP 4-stroke outboard from 2000.

Think I've done something stupid. I'm doing a water pump replacement, and while I was about it, I thought I'd check that the water inlet screens were clean and clear on the inside.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reference on this subject at all anywhere, so I assumed that the screens were held in by the stainless screw. Obviously, I now know that they are not. According to a picture I finally found, they look like they clip in place

Again, unfortunately, I undid the left-hand screw (as you face the motor from the front) and now it doesn't screw back into whatever it originally screwed into. I'm completely lost and cannot find any info on this.

What does the stainless screw screw into, and do I have to break and replace the screen to get the screw back into where it is supposed to go?

I have absolutely no idea where I go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

ahicks

Captain
I haven't pulled this stunt myself (yet), so just tossing out an idea. It sounds like the lower unit needs to come off. Once that's off, you'll likely have to remove the water pump, which should (if I'm correct) allow access to the area you need.

PeekRhol

Recruit
Thanks. I have the lower unit off, ;just waiting for the water pump kit to arrive. This is below the water pump, more like gearbox area.

ahicks

Captain
Yup. When you remove the pump you should have access to that area.

PeekRhol

Recruit
Just as I accidentally created this situation, I accidentally solved it.

In case any one else ever have this problem, it all works like this:

There is a chamber behind the screens with a water intake hole only. There is nothing else in this chamber.

The chamber cannot be accessed any other way except by removing the water intake screens.

The water intake screens have a single tab on each on the top of each moulding, which is used to align the screens when replacing them. The screens simply sit in place and do not clip in. In my case, the screens had obviously not been removed for many years (if ever), so there was 18 years of some light salt crusting to keep them in place.

The water intake screens are different on the right and the left. The left one has a funnel-shaped hole for the screw to fit in. The right-hand side is moulded to fit a nut.

The screw (actually a bolt) screws into the nut on the other side.

It all seems really obvious now.

Thanks for your help.