Tohatsu MFS6BS Lower Unit Leaking Gear Oil

MRA346

Recruit
I transported the engine laying down (Tiller handle down) in the back of my SUV while moving my boat to the coast (about a 3 hour drive). When I arrived and mounted the outboard on the boat, I noticed some gear oil had leaked out of the lower unit. It appeared to be coming out of the prop area but at this point I'm not 100% certain of that. I have not noticed a leak previously to this. How concerned should I be about this?

pvanv

Admiral
What makes you believe it is gear oil? Check the gear oil level, and check the crankcase level.

MRA346

Recruit
I smelled the oil and it smelled like gear oil. Unfortunately I can't get to the outboard until after next weekend. I should have brought it home with me but I was rushed for time when I left it.

Last edited:

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Before you go too far, make sure it is gear lube. I could just be contaminated oil that's finding its way down the exhaust tube.

One of my engines (similar model) had a dripping of gear lube and I saw a piece of fishing line behind the prop that had found it's way under the shaft seal. I pulled it out and thought I had to replace the seal, but when I pressure tested the housing, it checked out AOK. Filled with fluid and didn't have any more leak.