2008 Honda 8 HP performance

DAKOTA2

Recruit
I have a 14' fiberglass open bow tiller that achieves a maximum speed of 6.5-7 MPH with my 8 HP Honda at 3/4 throttle & rpm at 3250. At full throttle the rpm & speed does not change. Is this normal ? I was expecting a bit more speed than that.
I believe the manual says around 5,250 is max rpm, but I never get close to that. Is it because the weight of the boat & 2-passengers has maxed the engines capabilities & it just won't turn the prop any faster ? ?

DAKOTA2

DAKOTA2

Recruit
My best estimate of the weight with two passengers, the outboard, Minn kota trolling motor, two golf cart batteries & the rest of the gear is between 900-1000 lbs.

Alumarine

Captain
I'd try taking out all the weight that was easy to to take out and see if you can get up on plane with only 1 person.
That will tell you if the motor will perform properly.
Is it the right shaft length for the boat?
What size motor is the boat rated for?

DAKOTA2

Recruit
The first thing I did upon purchasing the boat was to make sure the motor height etc was set up right. Everything is good in that respect. The boat is rated for up to a 25 HP . I'm coming to the conclusion that in order to gain more speed I will need a larger motor. I may take your suggestion & remove some weight & try that also.

Alumarine

Captain
If the boat is rated for a 25hp I'm guessing you won't be happy with anything less than 15-20.
I'd go for a 25. I doubt if you'll ever get it on plane with an 8hp.