Am I Fushing The Engine Or Just The Water Pump?

ggray

Seaman
Over 15 years ago I bought (my first EBay transaction) a kit of brass and plastic hose fittings that an outboard mechanic sold to flush a non-running motor “backwards” thru the pee stream fitting.
I questioned him about whether the flow would go thru the cold power head but he claimed it would.
The motor is on a dinghy on davits, impractical to use muffs so I figured this might work.

Now that I need to replace the plastic components, and now that I know of this forum, I thought I’d ask experts whether this is an effective way to flush the motor?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What motor needs flushing? Depending on the motor, it may work and it may not.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved this into the Tohatsu section cuz one of the Tohatsu guys may know for sure. I'm not positive.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Powerhead flushing is being done partially, the only way to flush full powerhead is while OB is ON and thermo opens up while being flushed on a barrel, muffs or through lower leg flushing port. Must remove thermo if wanting doing same with OB Off.

You should flush OB soon after returning from any outing specially if boating on salt water, run carb dry before dingy and OB are raised on davits.

Happy Boating

ggray

Seaman
Thank you GA_Boater for steering my query.

Sea Rider, thanks, that is what I suspected.