Honda Outboard....which parts to buy....25 or 30

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My cowling says 30 Hp.....but the sticker on the port side of the engine says BF 25...("advertised as a 30 hp")....?
It actually says "advertised as a 30 hp"......
Which parts do I buy....25 or 30 ....or are they both the same.....
Trying to buy carb and water pump parts.....
Thanks...
DH

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Serial number says BF25......etc...
Cowling says 30
Probably a 25 "suped up" to run at a higher RPM to get 30 HP output.....
I looked up the specs and it's the same displacement as a 25....same everything except the top RPM...
Guess I'll order parts based on the name plate....BF25...etc.

ahicks

Captain
That sounds like a good plan. To verify, you could look up the parts for both engines. My bet is you'll find the same part numbers.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Hondas usually have the serial #s stamped on the side of the powerhead block...ie BF25-xxxxxxx.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Honda dealers look up pats by the serial number. Four letters then a series of numbers. Otherwise you can wind up with the wrong parts.

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep....I'm taking your advice on this one..
Found that it was a BAUJ100007
I bought a service manual...cause I'll be in a place that has no Honda dealers.....and I replaced the water pump and cleaned the carbs and found one of the nozzle jets was plugged.
The last service guy had broken all of the "locking caps" off the pilot screw covers and had messed one of them up so badly that I cant get the engine to sync....
Dont have the gauges or such....
So, it's off to the dealer in Beaumont....100 miles.....no Honda dealer here.
I need to see if we can get this engine running so that I will have confidence in it....or trade it in on a new one....
thanks
Darryl

ahicks

Captain
I have that serial number as a 2004ish 30 horse.

The vacuum gauge synchronizers aren't that much money, and the Honda outboard is not that difficult to hook up and set. A lot easier than driving a hundred miles to get service work.