Prop Entanglement.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is what results when a Tohatsu M70-OB stops instantly after a 20 meter rope was entangled direct to prop at wot rpm.

DSCF7611.JPG

Owner will need to use it like this and try not to entangle anything on prop again or will end screwing it severely. If wanting to replace new, you are seeing a $ 470 drive shaft.

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, my nephew ran over a screen wire crab trap with his 70HP Yamaha....don't really know if it twisted the drive shaft splines but he said it was just a big ball of twisted wire around his prop and was a real PIA to remove.....not good!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
surprised that shaft didnt go "plink" its pretty much toast with 10 degrees of twist over such a short distance

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Another friend with a larger Tohatsu OB pulled off all the upper splines from the drive shaft at wot. Went straight into a long hidden fishing line, passengers were nearly thrown from combo when at sudden unexpected speed stop.

When boating, entangling hidden fishing lines, free ropes drifting nowhere, anchor lines are my worst fear as like running 3/4 to full 6 K throttle. Will fly a drone up front to check that out. LOL!!

It's good to carry a sharp knife to cut anyhing entangled onto prop, removing by bare hand is a real PITA..

Happy Boating

Last edited:

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I would not want to trust a heavy flywheel spinning around at 4,000-6,000 RPM on that shaft!!!

I would also wonder what that does to the ignition timing??

pvanv

Admiral
I would not want to trust a heavy flywheel spinning around at 4,000-6,000 RPM on that shaft!!!

I would also wonder what that does to the ignition timing??

That is the driveshaft. The flywheel is not affected. Nor is timing. Just the LU is delayed about 10 degrees.