How to test automatic choke on Honda BF9.9

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2013 Honda BF9.9 that purrs like a kitten once it's warmed up but it really hates to start (the colder it is, the worse it is). I haven't run this motor until I rebuilt the power head so I don't know how it's supposed to start except that it has an electric/automatic choke and that I think it's not working as it doesn't do any kind of "high idle". Is there a way to test/troubleshoot this? I can't find anything on the internet.

Thanks,
BB

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check coil impedance with tester, if with 0 Ohms replace it. Be sure plunger if having one is well aligned, and works freely inside coil and all moving parts slides, rotates well for auto choke to work as expected. Can micro oil all those parts to work smoothly.

Happy Boating

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Sea Rider! Can you tell me what circuit logic is supposed to actuate the coil? It looks like it should be in the start position (lowest throttle setting), but does it somehow only activate the choke coil when it's "cold"?

Also, aside from the idle, there is one "screw/lever" adjustment that is on the starboard side just above the throttle plate pivot. It can be turned 180 degrees (that's it) and the "lever/indicator" on mine is pointed to the left (back of the motor) when looking at it.

Thanks,
BB

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sorry can't help further, don't own nor work with Honda outboards.

Happy Boating