4 Strokes Honda 8HP-OB.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A friend of mine has this oldie that's been trying to start for some time with 0 avail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Honda 8 HP-1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	230.3 KB ID:	10539767

When priming fuel bulb, there's fuel spill through a small hole, friend can't specify if at rear where a box with hoses is located which could be the fuel pump or through carb. Assume carb has a needle and float as all carbed OB's, if so, could the needle be stuck and fuel leaking through carb ? Is this model crafty to start ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Honda 8 HP-2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	262.0 KB ID:	10539768

Which spark plug brand model and gap is used for this OB ? All for the moment, thanks in advance.

Happy Boating

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Got a Serial #?

If it's a BF8A, the fuel pump is located on the cylinder head.

Carburetor is needle/float and needle valve can be stuck open.

Spark plug is NGK DR-5HS gapped 0.6-0.7 mm (0.024 - 0.028 in.).

Good runners and easy to start.

Also, check for spark.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks both,

Have not checked it as this OB is far away from my current location, it's possible the drain valve could remain open. Besides the drain valve and a stuck bowl needle, is there any other part from which fuel could leak ? This is a non through hub exhaust prop model. Gee those Honda OB's works with tight spark plug gap compared to other brands.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
If fuel is spilling out at the pump (at rear), you need either pump parts or a pump. It's critical that the low-speed jets on these is impeccable clean. They start and run well. You can't typically see the spark with a tester, but the CDs seldom fail.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Paul,

If there's an issue with the fuel pump that OB is going to stand forever, there are 0 available spare parts for it down here, will need to me imported. Anyway, this nice Honda 8 HP has been already replaced two days ago for a new 2 strokes Tohatsu 18 HP. LOL!!

With this 08-OB I could start to meddle in the 4 strokes world...

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine starts easily. Try unscrewing the idle jet from the top of the carb and clean it thoroughly. Might just start. That of course wouldn't fix a leak. Fuel pump at rear is easy to remove and service though if you can't have parts sent to your country...