BF35 / BF40 Powerhead Interchangable?

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello. I have a brand new BF35 powerhead complete with all electrics etc from approximately the late 1990’s. I’have the opportunity to buy a fire damaged but otherwise complete BF40 of age unknown but presumed to be mid-2000’s. I am still waiting for engine plate details to confirm actual age, etc.
i know this is question is a bit open-ended, but would the powerhead be intechangable amongst this series of Honda throughout the years?

many thanks in advance

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just heard back from the owner of the Outboard. Serial number is BAUJ-100147. Does this indicate that it is a 30hp and not a 40hp as advertised? I guess the power heads are not interchangable, nor would the lower unit ratios etc be compatible?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the 30 HP is a detuned version of the 40 with exact same CC powerhead would be possible, a matter to check both OB's tech specs to confirm that.

Happy Boating

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, and that is my question. From what I can gather, over the years Honda used the same basic powerhead on the 35hp, 40hp, 45hp, 50hp and 55hp motors, however the 25hp and 30hp used a smaller capacity engine. from what I can find on the web the serial number I’ve been given indicates that the engine in question is in fact only a 30hp Outboard and not the 40hp variant like the seller claims? Can anyone please confirm? The engine cowl is missing, hence the confusion.

thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Posting some pics of both engines powerheads would help to determine if at least same if that's possible.. To determine correct HP is with serial number.

Happy Boating