Tilt and trim

Joaty

Recruit
Trouble with the tilt up feature on my 50 D2 Tohatsu motor 2000 yr. and according to the service manual I should check the oil level. Problem being, I cannot locate where to check! The pix in the manual is not my motor. I am to check the reservoir but ?... can someone help? It does click a lot and occasionally it will lift up. Going down is not a problem.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need an air space above the filler plug so the fluid has somewhere to go when you trim down, so the plug (usu a slotted screw) will need to be part way up the reservoir.

pvanv

Admiral
Verify the solenoids are working. Make sure the manual tilt valve is closed. If the pump runs but the tilt up does not work, lower the motor, and fill the reservoir with ATF, close the filler, and tilt. Do this many times to purge air. There are at least two different TT units for the 50D2. Regardless, there is a manual valve and a reservoir fill. On the newer style, the reservoir cap is on the ram housing. The reservoir cap for the older style is on the motor housing.