2003 Honda 225 ran out of gas and now it won't start

markjmillsap

Recruit
I have a 2003 Honda 225 ,and it ran out of gas. I made it to the marina and added 4 gallons. I have been unable to get it to start since. There is fuel in the filter bowls and the water separator. I am handy, but not familiar with outboards. I have done a lot of research, but can't pinpoint the problem. I can hear the pump engage, but I don't know if it's getting fuel. Thanks in advance for ant help.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Assume primer bulb if any was well primed till firm. Could spray some fuel direct into each cylinder through each carb and start the engine. If starts ok fuel should follow...

Happy Boating

markjmillsap

Recruit
I primed the bulb for a while and it never seemed to get really firm. Do you remove the plugs and spray fuel in there?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep could do that, should ignite very fast. Probably there's an air lock on fuel circuit due to running out of gas. Firm is not rock stone, just firm, won't be able to prime bulb any further.

Happy Boating

markjmillsap

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. I primed the hell out of it, turned the key on & off 5 or 6 times to get the pump going, and loosened the gas cap and it finally started.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Probabably could have been just a fuel lock on tank due to air vent being closed when attempting to restart OB, those things sometimes happens when at a hurry. LOL!!

Happy Boating