Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Nissan NS5B Internal Gas Tank Threads Stripped OFF!!?!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan NS5B Internal Gas Tank Threads Stripped OFF!!?!!

The tank threads are stripped and the cap won't seal. I understand this is a common problem. Anyone fixed this without buying a new tank? Can you use epoxy and the cap as a die to make new threads? Add an insert? Looking for ideas.

New Tank.
    Paul
    Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

369703164M FUEL TANK 5 HP INTERNAL $74.52
        /*USE CAP 393700206M*/
        Paul
        Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Thanks everybody - gonna try the epoxy putty an if that doesn't work will get new tank. Will report back after I try the putty.

Comment

The epoxy putty worked. First attempt was a failure as the epoxy wasn't hard enough. Second time I waited till the epoxy was 2/3 hardened and that did the trick. Cap seals fine.

Comment

Should have pics of what they look like. I have a snowmobile with an oil tank and the cap would slip as if the threads were stripped. I took a copper plumbing cap (I think for 1 1/4 pipe) and cut the end off with a hacksaw. That left a copper ring about 1" tall. That ring just barely fit into the tank opening and supported the threads well enough for the cap to be put on very tightly. It has worked very well for over 5 years.

Comment

Working...
              X