Nissan NS55B ASSISTANCE

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I have an 82 Sea Nymph with a Nissan 55Hp NS55B outboard. I have completely restored the boat and now the ending has no spark. I took it to a mechanic and he says that I need POINTS and a COIL. I called a old Nissan service center in Alabama and they say that they think it has to be older then 85 if it has points... Anyway where the heck can I find Points and a Coil? Any recommendations? The motor serial number looks like 353-1 12314 how do you tell the year on these?

pvanv

Admiral
Year is irrelevant. Model/serial is everything. Your serial is 12314. Almost no parts are available. I doubt it has points; If so, you are out of luck.

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
Hi thanks guys, so needless to say that mechanic sucked lol. I went and picked up my boat and found a great guy in Alabama that told me how to test the Exciter Coil and Trigger Coil. He has one of each so it looks like one of them are bad so I will keep you guys updated on progress.
He told me to check the ohm reading on the wires coming out of the coil plate. Red to black and blue to black. What I need to know is which color relates to which coil??

Marvin122

Seaman Apprentice
I found a CDI unit that a Nissan dealer says will work I have to use an adapter they sell.
The part number for the OEM CDI 346062601 the new one that will work and that can still be purchased is 346062601. I hope this helps someone.