2004 tldi 90hp - don't have a proper control box - how can I get it started?

fizzle15

Cadet
I just bought a 90hp tldi tohatsu from a guy who said it ran great but he was using morse controls for it and had no kill switch.
I've got what seems to be a tohatsu key switch and even a faria tohatsu gauge, but even with following the wiring diagram neither seem to work.
I can get the engine to turn over - but its almost like its got no spark.
It's driving me nuts as it really shouldn't be that difficult.
is there any tohatsu particulars that I need to do to get it to start?
I really feel like a need a buzzer - as it's strange to turn on an outboard and not hear anything.
Any tips or suggestions would really make my day - as I'm just bummed out I bought someone else's junk.

fizzle15

Cadet
Also, I'm reading about the importance of 1000mca battery. I don't know what the battery is that I'm using on it now - but it cranks it over at a really crisp speed. Is that not good enough? does it also have to have the required amount of cranking amps on top of that?
thanks for your help.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Bat should have a sticker, plate, check specs...

Happy Boating

fizzle15

Cadet
The battery is an interstate - and it doesn't have cca on it. Just months and junk that isn't useful. But is the CCA rating important for this outboard? would that stop it from starting?

fizzle15

Cadet
I haven't even hooked up controls yet - as I wanted to start it first - but I'd use either the old mercruiser control or a morse control. The key switch I believe is a tohatsu - but I don't have a kill switch so I've got the brown wire on the key connected to the brown wire in the wiring harness.

I just bought a giant battery - it still doesn't work
It just doesn't get any spark - its as if the computer isn't even

wait second it may have just worked - there is a yellow and red wire that I wasn't utilizing. when power was given to it it seems to start now.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
I would suggest getting the Factory service manual. You will want to be sure that you can reset the initial TPS setting, etc.

fizzle15

Cadet
I have a green manual - I'm not sure if its the service manual and it has the instructions for tips resetting - but I don't have a kill switch yet - so off to amazon to order one.
Also, I've got this tachometer and the service manual I have says set it to 4p - I'm not sure it has 4p on it
check it out - on the plastic it says 6 and 5 - the buy before me had it on 5.
then the sticker that doesn't really match up has the different poles.

Attachments

• 20170904_160429_resized_1.jpg
    20170904_160429_resized_1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 0