How to detach 2006 9.9hp tohatsu cables from motor

vdotmatrix

Seaman
HELP!!! Ahhh, i am glad I got that out!!! I am trying to remove the outboard from a Catalina-25 that has a remote throttle/shifter. I need to do the spring maintenance and the motor must come off. I removed the cowling. I removed the "R" hitch pin from the throttle and shift lever inside the motor. So what's the problem? The outside cable is free and clear, The other cable is not and is trapped between the two levers. I have the shop manual but have not found the idiot's guide for removing the motor for spring maintenance section. At one point it refers to moving the shifter to WOT (wide open throttle)....I am at home and perhaps I didnt have it all the way open to free the cable. I also removed the throttle/shift bracket on the front of the motor but still couldn't free the one cable. I don't want to take apart any linkages that would require any major adjustment to the linkage.

Does anyone have any ideas or if you have that manual 1992-09 repair manual for Nissan/Tohatsu #1500, point me to the page idiots's......

thanks in advance.

pvanv

Admiral
1. Throw that generic manual away. Get a Factory service manual. Tohatsu/Nissan motors are not referred to by year for servicing, but rather by actual model/serial.
2. The motor does not need to be removed to do "spring maintenance", unless the boat is in the water, and then only to change the LU lube or water pump kit.
3. Yes, if you want the control cables off, you remove the cast "remote control stay cover" from the lower cowl, and also the "cable clip" from under that. Then pull the two R pins, and try not to lose the nylon washers from between the R pin and the clevis.
4. Don't forget that you will also need the battery cables disconnected, as well as the RC power wiring.
002-21047-4_FIG17.JPG

vdotmatrix

Seaman
Thank you. I have removed this a few more times and it gets easier i stillhave a time removing the gear linkage from the inner #10 - # 13....

also once it is time to re-install the cables it’s always 50-50 whether or not I have the right cable to the right linkage throttle or gear. Is there any hard and fast rule for determining which cable is which without physically marking it.

pvanv

Admiral
Yes. Of course, you can mark one cable (no need to do both, as the unmarked cable is the other). But in all cases, if you operate the lever of the RC box, you may note that regardless of whether in F or R, the throttle cable always pulls short as the throttle is advanced, whereas the shift cable goes in two different directions as the lever gets to about 32 degrees, depending on whether it's F or R.

ahicks

Captain
Taking detailed pictures while disassembling can be a godsend on reassembly as well.......