Tohatsu boggs down when given throttle

donnyk

Recruit
.I have a 2008 9.8 Tohatsu four stroke. Idles fine. When I try to give Throttle it boggs down. If I pull choke out and then push back in quickly, it gets past the "Bog" and runs great! I have cleaned the carb several times. Replacced fuel filter, primer bulb, spark plugs, gas lines, new gas with stabil. Any suggestions?

Murfs66

Recruit
Sounds like the carb is dirty. I would try going through the carb with cleaner. The carb has a few hidden ports that you need to clean out. They are under the little foil piece in which you have to take the foil off to find. You should be good to go after that

pvanv

Admiral
The correct model should be MFS9.8A3. Year is irrelevant. Clearly the mix is too lean. Odds are the carb still needs a Proper cleaning. That means a Complete carb disassembly (including jets and emulsion tube nozzle) and a 4-hour soak in real carb dip, followed by a liberal spray-out with generic carb spray.

chanders

Cadet
Sounds like you may need to adjust the fuel air mixture. It may have a brass plug installed. Carefully drill that out, and adjust that and the idle. Had to do this to my Nisaan (tohatsu) right from the factory. Now it runs perfect without the bogging down when you give it throtle.