89' 50hp force, fuelpump spills fuel into the crankcase.

jholma

Cadet
I have no start condition on this motor. When i pump up the primer bulb, it fills the crankcase and cylinders with fuel.
I have had the carb off, and it isn't going through it. It does fill the bowl. Eventually it pours out the exhaust. Will a rebuild
kit help with this?

Nordin

Commander
You need a rebuild kit for the fuelpump or a new fuelpump diaphragm. If there i s a hole in the diaphragm fuel reach the crankcase when you prime.
The pumpdiaphragm use the vaccum/overpressure in the crankcase to pump/deliver fuel.
Then there is a good ide to check the carb because of a bad diaphragm. There maybe pieces of it in the carb that may clogg the jets.

jholma

Cadet
Ok, thanks. This motor has been a rollercoaster ride. Iv'e had to jbweld the flywheel, reverse the plug wires, disconnect the kill
wire, and the plugs had no gap. Oh yeah, should the water pass through the pump at cranking rpm? I'm only using muffs.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The 89/50 uses a special muff.
It looks like the regular ones with the edges cut off.
I used to have pics of it on here but they "improved" the site and lost about 100 of my pics.
I'll see if I can get a pic.

Try duct taping the muffs in place.
The motor shouldn't pump water as it's not turning fast enough.
Or start it DEEP in a bucket.

Follow Nordins advice on the fuel pump.

The plugs were they not gapped or no electrodes?
Some plugs have no electrodes

Attachments

• photo213488.jpg
    photo213488.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0

jholma

Cadet
The fuel pump rebuild did the trick. I switched to smaller muffs and used the duct tape. seems to be spitting well. Hasn't been lake tested yet, though. Thanks for the help.