Telltale not working

Howdy, Y'all! I have a 1987 Force 50 which has not given me trouble in the two seasons I've been running it. In firing it up this spring, though, I have no water coming out of the upper unit when it runs. I have tried the leaky muffs on the lower unit, tried taping up the gaps where the water was not going into the lower unit, and even tried raising a bucket of water up to the intakes on the lower unit. There was about an eighth of an inch gap above the water that I'm guessing air was entering the lower unit. Is my only hope to launch her and test the motor on the water? Or is there a process to check the water outlet for it being clogged? Worst case scenario is that I launch and the water still doesn't flow out. Then I am back to the clogging question.

Thanks for any help!

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Telltale not working

My Force 40 wouldn't pump with the muffs, so I cut up a barrel to use. Next try a drill bit to make sure the telltale hole is clear. Then, If you have a brass plug on top loosen it and see if you're getting water to the top. Then I guess you'll have to check the impellor and it's gaskets and housing.

Bill

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

When did you change the impeller last?

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

First thing I always do is get the air hose and blow compressed air back thru it

Okay, we took the Force 50 out on the lake, it looks like the impeller is bad. No water shooting out, and as soon as the motor warmed up, the overheat alarm came on. It turned out to be just a launching drill for us.