1992 Force 120hp tilt problem

Haterasman

Cadet
I have a 1992 Force 120 hp outboard. Motor starts up and runs fine. My problem is the motor will tilt up great but won't always power down. Play with it for awhile and it will eventually go down. Took relay apart and cleaned terminals, no go. Doesn't seem to be switch as I can hear clicking going on. Any help? thanks

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 Force 120hp tilt problem

Not a big expert on the tilt trims but does the motor sound ok when it is trying to go down, or is it labouring, I had a similiar problem and found my motor had moisture into it and the brushes were nearly rusted in. I am not saying this is your problem but the more info you can give the better. If anything your motor for your tilt pump will labour going up, if it is labouring going down it sounds like the motor or brushes. Could possibly be the Valve body but others here will know more about that.

Haterasman

Cadet

Don't think it's the motor. When it decides to go down, it sounds and works fine.But when it won't, you hold the down button in and nothing happens except a clicking sound.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Try switching the relays. They're the same. If the problem moves, then it's a relay. If no difference, then most likely it's the wiring/bad connection.

MickLovin

There ya go oldboat1 is da man

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you cleaned the high current terminals and you can hear the relay clicking, that means the relay is working. Look for a broken wire or bad connection in the harness, motor, or connectors. Look for a bad ground connection on that particular relay. Perhaps a loose connector inside the relay socket.

BTW: That is a standard relay that can be purchased at any electric supply. It is used in a number of automobiles and I get mine at the 2 dollar entrance fee U-Pull-It junkyards. In fact, I get the sockets and make my own wiring harnesses. Yeah, I'm cheap--tighter than a crab's a** hole---and that's water tight.

Last edited:

Haterasman

Cadet

Well I switched the relays and now the unit will down and not up. Switched them again and just the opposite. Has to be a bad relay. Right?

MickLovin

yep sounds like your relay and as far as being cheap and tighter than a crab a** hole, it's not tight for a crab :p
Hey Frank you could sell some of silver back hair, LOL, you might get a LU for it .