Force electrical wiring question - starter relay?

ribcage

Cadet
I have a 1991 90 HP force outboard 906x91a. Have a question about the starter relay. The starter relay has four terminals two master terminals for the power to battery and also one going directly to the starter. I rebuilt the engine over the winter and cant remember what is connected to the "S" and "I" terminals. I recall that one of them was for a yellow wire, and the other was for a black neutral. Im not sure if this is causing a problem, because now it turns over when I try to start the engine, but Its not firing at all. Not sure if this could be the problem. Any suggestions?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force electrical wiring question - starter relay?

If the starter engages when you turn the key, the starter solenoid is wired and working properly. The starter solenoid has nothing to do with ignition spark.

The ignition system is self energizing. All you have to do is to get the flywheel spinning fast enough and the magnets on the inner circumference of the flywheel will induce a voltage in the stator windings which feeds the ignition system. First make sure you are getting spark to the spark plugs. If not, make sure the Kill switch lanyard is in place.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force electrical wiring question - starter relay?

If it's mounted correctly.
The small terminal on the side towards the carbs is the ignition(yellow).
The other side is a black or ground.