**How to set timing on 76 chrysler 45 HP**

Status
Not open for further replies.

skizman

Seaman
Could someone please explain how to set the timing on 1976 45 HP Chrysler...model 457HH. I don't have any of the fancy tools....just wrenches. Can't find "step by step" instructions on Google.
Thank you!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: **How to set timing on 76 chrysler 45 HP**

First remove both plugs. Using a thin bladed long tool (screwdriver) turn the flywheel until you find top dead center on the top cylinder. Mark the flywheel and a corresponding place on the engine block. This is zero. Now count the teeth in the flywheel and divide into 360. This gives you the number of degrees in each tooth. count back to the left (clockwise) the required number of teeth and possible partial tooth to obtain the desired advance (28, 30, 32). Mark the flywheel. Those older Chryslers were timed at 32 degrees advance but later on it was changed to 30. Either is acceptable if you use automobile pump gas.

If you have magneto ignition the engine must be running at wide open throttle to set timing. If you have points and battery ignition, you can time it static in the driveway.

Attach a timing light to the top cylinder and check timing. The advance mark on the flywheel should match the zero mark on the block. If too far retarded, or to the left of the mark, shorten the rod that runs from the timing tower under the flywheel if too far advanced, or to the right of the mark, lengthen it. If you are timing a magneto engine, stop the engine and gradually adjust the rod in increments so you don't join the nine finger club.

Since a battery ignition engine will fire at any speed, to static check timing, remove the plugs and ground them. With the key on and throttle in wide open position, slowly turn the flywheel looking for spark on number one plug. When it sparks, the flywheel advance line and block zero line should line up.

By the way, if you watch my video, there is (I think) a three cylinder engine with the flywheel marked in black marker.

skizman

Seaman

Frank...your info was great and easy to understand!!! I really appreciate it. I'll check the timing by tomorrow.
Thanks again!

Perry M.

Recruit

Frank, skizman, your timing could not have been better! I was working on the ignition timing on my 1976 Chrysler 45 hp that hasn't run in 4 years. Your posts just saved my sanity!

wickware

Lieutenant

Can the timing get off enough to cause big problems without parts wearing or someone changing it?? My 1970 35hp Chrysler has not had a timing issue since I purchased it in 1984. My main issue has been dirty points. I finally realized I was adding too much oil to my point?s rubbing block wic causing oil vapor to affect my points. The eng would always start easy and run fair but there was a noticeable hesitation with quick acceleration or trying to hold a wide open throttle 2-5 miles.

Fishing around stumps and in low lakes does not allow much WOT.

Perry M.

Recruit

Frank, I followed your directions and put a mark on the flywheel for 32 degrees. (Just before I found this wonderful thread, I had printed up a survey compass that closely matched the size of the flywheel and set the mark with that. Your teeth counting method verified the location.) The plug fired right at the TDC mark and tightening the advance rod all the way only took me half way to the new 32 degree mark, which I double checked. The timing advance rod seems too long to pull the advance plate far enough. However, when the tower linkage is set at WOT, the advance start to retard a little, having swung past its apogee, and that doesn't seem right.
The boat and engine were originally owned by my grandfather, who didn't own any special Chrysler tools, but I can't believe that the timing was that far off all these years. The engine used to run just fine until it suddenly lost power and seemed to run on one cylinder. I have replaced the original breakers with ones ordered online (along with the coils, spark plugs and even the reed valves), but that was 4 years ago and I can't remember if they looked all that different from the originals. Could different breakers change the timing? Would the engine run well at all with the timing set at TDC?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Perry M post a new thread with pics so we can have a look at your problem

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The timing must be set with the control handle at wide open throttle and the engine in gear.

skizman

Seaman

Yeah that's how I timed it. It was retarded a couple degrees. Took it to the lake next day and it started to run rough....and got worse and within a couple minutes the engine konked out. The damn key on the flywheel spun. I didn't hit anything. Now I'm trying to find the key around the area. Always somethin!
THanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The key is a special one that not only locates the flywheel but a projection goes down and locates the cam. You should be able to buy one here at iboats. Look for an early force 35, 40, 50, etc. If not here, try your local Mercury dealer or contact franzmarine@aol.com. Jerry also has another supplier but I forget the name. Maybe he will chime in again.

skizman

Seaman

Thanks Frank. A local marine repair is looking through his boxes trying to find the key. If not....I'll check out Iboats and Franz.

ENorth

Recruit
I am having similar problem with shearing keys (2 times). Engine runs 5-10 minutes in water and stops. I have read that the taper needs minimum 80% contact for proper tight fit. Cleaned up burrs on the shaft. Flywheel bore is "burred". Is there a tapered hone to clean the ID of the taper bore? Otherwise, how do you properly clean up the ID of the flywheel? Will that affect the height position of the flywheel on the shaft?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am having similar problem with shearing keys (2 times). Engine runs 5-10 minutes in water and stops. I have read that the taper needs minimum 80% contact for proper tight fit. Cleaned up burrs on the shaft. Flywheel bore is "burred". Is there a tapered hone to clean the ID of the taper bore? Otherwise, how do you properly clean up the ID of the flywheel? Will that affect the height position of the flywheel on the shaft?

It's been more than five years since this thread was active. You're better off starting a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.