Accidentally removed the "clutch pin" while changing gear lube 125HP 1988 Force

Accidentally removed the "clutch pin" while changing gear lube 125HP 1988 Force

hey guys! can anyone in here give me some information on reinstalling the GEAR SHIFT ARM (SHIFT FORKS) in the lower unit of a 1988 125hp force motor? this is a motor i had never worked on and i accidentally removed the clutch pin (or pivot pin) while replacing gear lube!

obviously as soon as i did this, i lost neutral and reverse... while full time forward might be exciting, its also not real convenient for whoever may be trying to dock the boat :)

i now have the lower unit off and the top completely removed so that i was able to lift the shift shaft right up out of the unit - on the end of this shift shaft is a neat looking little "shift arm" with forks on one end of it and the hole where the pivot pin slides in on the other end

the pivot pin is easy enough to get back in but ...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THOSE FORKS FIT INTO IN THE GEAR MECHANISM?

HUGE THANKS TO ALL REPLIES

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Accidentally removed the "clutch pin" while changing gear lube 125HP 1988 Force

Re: Accidentally removed the "clutch pin" while changing gear lube 125HP 1988 Force

Well, you dropped a "saddle yoke", a brass piece that sits over a center shaft which activates the dog clutch. At this point, although it can be replaced, it will be much easier to drain the lower unit, remove the rear bearing carrier, remove the gear pack (prop shaft, reverse gear, dog clutch.) and start from scratch. You do not need to remove the forward gear and pinion.

After removing the gear pak, if the brass saddle is not on the shaft, fish it out of the front of the lower unit. Replace the shift shaft with the steel yoke on it and insert the shift pin.

Now, grease the groove on the center shift rod and place the brass saddle in the groove. Push down or pull up (I forget) on the shift shaft, moving the steel yoke towards the forward gear. CAREFULLY insert the prop shaft through the forward gear until the brass yoke seats in the two grooves of the steel yoke. This may take you a couple of tries. Test shifting before reassembling the lower unit.

IF you can find the brass yoke without disassembling the lower unit, it is possible to use some thread to hold it into the steel yoke, position it on the center shift shaft, and reinsert the shift pin. There is an old thread on how to do this.

Hey guys! thanks so much for the info! I'm going to go look for the saddle now and try the string idea... stay tuned...

GOT IT! i was able to fish out the brass saddle after about 10 minutes of searching for it -

between some fishing line and a cut wire hanger (as a control arm) i was able to get everything back together pretty quick - shifting through the gears slick now!

thanks for all the help guys!

now if anyone has any recommendation for easily installing this lower unit back it to the head!!??.... between trying to line up the main shaft and the shift shaft...?? forget about it! its no joke jack!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Just be patient. I found that if you can position the motor as straight up and down as possible, it makes it a little easier. Also, when you're getting the drive shaft lined up and insert it into the leg, it helps if you have a helper turn the flywheel ever so slightly which lines up the splines on the drive shaft with the splines on the crank shaft.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

heavy leg, I'm thinking. If doing it vertically as pnwboat describes, might want to have some 2 by 4s handy to put under the skeg when you have it going in place, so you can start the bolts.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I do it with the engine tilted all the way up. It makes it easier to see the water tube and you can "rest" a bit by leaning the lower unit inside the ley on the drive shaft. There is no good upper guide so you must fish around for the crankshaft. It helps a little if you compare the parting line of the midleg and the lower unit. Keep then as close to parallel as possible If the lower unit is cocked a slight bit, this error is multiplied up at the crank. Once you find the hole in the crank, either turn the flywheel or use a prop in gear to turn the propshaft. You can even twist the lower to try to engage the splines. Have a bolt ready to secure the unit when you do engage the splines. The shift lever is no worry. It generally will slide right in its hole if the water tube is in place in the pump. Then. if you push it down and set the engine in reverse, there generally will be enough play to set the lower rod into the coupler.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

yup. done it both ways, sometimes with the same motor (usually when getting frustrated). In the tilt position -- easier on the back, and improved line of sight -- I use a well-worn B&D shop mate to prop up the gearbox.