85 Hp Force motor wiring harness?

stephen25

Seaman
I have a 85 HP force that i am cleaning up some of the wiring on, but i had a question what should the Blue and White Magneto wires go to 12 V or Ground? I've got everything else squared away.
Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 Hp Force motor wiring harness?

If you have the Prestolire ignition, the white wires connect to the white wire in the cable to the switch. The blue wire should be connected to the blue terminal and jumped to ground. This is the stop circuit. Operation is thus: At the switch, the blue and white wires are each connected to a magneto terminal (M). The two magneto terminals are open with the switch on so white is not connected to blue. When you turn the switch to stop, the two magneto terminals are in continuity. White goes to ground through blue and the internal capacitors in the cd box are shunted to ground thus preventing spark.

stephen25

Seaman

Thanks Frank, So in my case I am doing away with my ignition switch and I have wired my ignition and electronic choke to two push buttons. But I could use these two wires to create a kill switch? I planned on putting a removable one in just in case. I just never leave my boat in the water unattended so the key is one less thing to worry about bringing or forget :D

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

No, assuming you have wired one switch for choke and one switch for cranking the starter, you need a separate switch wired for the blue and white only. use a normally open push button. Pushing it closed will stop the engine and open will let it run.

This ignition needs nothing to let the engine run. If you disconnect all wires and rope start the engine, it will start and run---but you will not be able to stop it except by hand choking the carbs.

stephen25

Seaman

That was my exact plan, one more wire question the orange "heat" wire im guessing it is a 12V for a heat alarm?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

not sure on the force but my orange wire goes to the ground of the buzzer and a wire from the ignition is it's positive, as normally the heat switch is grounded when it reaches it temp level, therefore giving a ground to the buzzer and activating it when the temperature closes the temp switch.