1992 Force 50hp wiring diagram

TCLIII

Cadet
I have a 1992 Force 50 hp motor with a 1986 wiring harness. I am trying to match the correct colors of each. The wire colors on the harness are:

1. yellow - starter
2. purple - generator
3. white - tachometer
4. green - choke
5. orange - heat
6. red - battery
7. blue - ignition
8. black - ground

(I got the above information from the old engine)

the wire colors on the new (1992) engine are:

1. yellow/red stripe
2. white
3. black/yellow stripe
4. yellow/black stripe
5. tan/green stripe
6. red/blue stripe
7. black

Can anyone help me with this?

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1992 Force 50hp wiring diagram

Look at this wiring diagram and let me know if this applies to you. You might have to save it on your PC first, enlarge it and then print it to make it more readable.

Force 1984-99 50 HP Wiring Diagram.jpg

TCLIII

Cadet

Thanks for the diagram, but what I really need is to match colors. For example, I know the yellow/black stripe wire goes to the electric choke so it's equivalent is the green wire in the harness. I don't want to do any guessing because I don't want to fry anything.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You can't really match all the colors. You can match some but not all. Plus some of the documentation on the color codes that are out there are not 100% accurate. The 1986 harness is for a 50HP motor that uses 2 CD/Coil modules. The 1992 motor uses a single CD module that drives two separate coils so the wiring is slightly different.

You probably have to match the wires by "Function". Jiggz's diagram show the functions of the wires on the 1992 motor. You should be able to match them up with the 1986 harness, because you do have the description of the functions of the wires on the 1986 harness. The thing that is a little confusing to me is the Purple and white wires on the 1986 harness. How are those two wires hooked up to the ignition switch. Wish it was easier but it looks doable to me.

Jiggz

Captain

Thanks for the diagram, but what I really need is to match colors. For example, I know the yellow/black stripe wire goes to the electric choke so it's equivalent is the green wire in the harness. I don't want to do any guessing because I don't want to fry anything.

Actually you are on the right track, matching the yellow/blk (knowing this is the choke wire from the old harness) to the green wire of the new motor. And you can verify this using a diagram as provided. Another match will be the white (from old harness) to the grey or purple or even white for the tach signal input from the new motor.

One of the biggest difference between the two wiring is the old uses two separate CDM's and the shut down switch shorts or connects the two brown wires from each CDM while on the newer motor, it uses only one CDM with two ckts and uses only the black/yellow wire for shutting down by connecting it to ground.

Here's a side by side comparison of the two engine wirings. This should give you a better idea and be able to modify the old harness to make it functional with the newer motor.
Force 1988 Prior to D 50 HP wiring diagram.jpg

TCLIII

Cadet

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate your efforts. I will see if I can make out the labels on the diagrams. One thing I have a big problem with is which wire I should connect the battery (red) wire to on the newer engine. I am sure if I were to connect that one incorrectly something really could get fried.

Jiggz

Captain

That is actually one of the easiest wire to reconnect considering it is almost identical between the new engine and the old harness. First verify the old harness to make sure the red wire connects to the "B" terminal of the ig switch. The other end of that wire should connect to the terminal board inside the engine cowl which should connect to the "+" of the rec/reg. On the old engine this wire connects to the load side of the ckt bkr which is also connected to the "+" of the rec/reg. Look at both diagrams.

TCLIII

Cadet

I can't read the two wiring diagrams very well but this is what I have come up with:

1. yellow = yellow/red
2. purple = gray
3. white = black/yellow
4. green = yellow/black
5. orange = tan/green
6. red = red/purple
7. blue = no idea
8. black = black

I do not want to connect everything and try it until I feel comfortable with my "analysis".

I am pretty sure I am correct on black, orange, green, and purple.

I am not positive on yellow, white, or red, and I have no idea where the blue ignition wire should connect.

As always, I appreciate all the help I have gotten and will appreciate any other input from you folks.

Thanks.

TCLIII

Cadet

I forgot to add this:

1. On the ignition switch, red is connected to the "B" terminal.
2. The yellow is connected to the "S" terminal.
3. The green is connected to the "C" terminal.
4. The "I" terminal has three wires connected to it:
A. blue ignition wire
B. black wire from the "overheat" buzzer.
C. another blue wire that goes to the speedometer.

Again, thanks.

TCLIII

Cadet

@pnwboat

The purple and white wires are not connected to the ignition switch at all. Thanks.

TCLIII

Cadet

My latest analysis is that the blue should connect to the ground on the terminal block. Feedback is more than welcome. Thanks.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Not sure if this is correct or not, but the Blue wire on the 1986 harness is the Kill circuit to the second Coil/CD module. I don't think it is used on the 1992 motor since you only have one CD Module that drives both coils. If you ground that wire, and you do not get any spark, try "ungrounding" it and see if you get spark. Everything else looks right. Kind of hard to tell without actually seeing everything in person though.

TCLIII

Cadet

OK...this is the latest on developments. The blue wire is hot so it doesn't go to the ground. The motor started with nothing exploding or bursting into flames, but it only ran for a short time and acted like it wasn't getting fuel. It got dark on me so I have to experiment some more tomorrow. I won't know for sure that the wiring is going to work as is until I can run the engine for a while and see if the battery is charging (for example). I appreciate your help and I am sure I will be asking for more help in the future. In the mean time, if I get any new answers concerning the wiring, I will be back to share any info I gather by experimenting. Thanks to pnwboat and jiggz.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You mentioned that there is a blue wire that goes to the speedometer. The only electrical part of the speedometer is the light bulb. I wonder if the blue wire is your hot wire for the gauge illumination.

Jiggz

Captain

Looks like you are on your way in rewiring the new motor. You can just disregard the blue wire for now until you get done checking everything, i.e. lights and instrument panel, interlock switch, charging, overheat temp sensor, choke, etc. If everything seems to be working just tape the blue wire for now until something doesn't seem to function correctly. Are you positive the blue wire is hot? With ig switch off? Ig switch on?