105hp chrysler wont pump water?????

glenie.r

Recruit
hi there,

I have a chrysler 105hp outboard and it wont pump water. I have had the leg off several times, it has a new impeller and will flow if a hose is connected to the water pick up with leg leg off. I have replaced the thermostate with a restricter plate and checked the releif valve. I removed the prop to see what happened when reving the motor breifly, the rear of the leg bubbled like the pump was cavitating.
Please help, I love this old girl but am very much stumped.

Nordin

Commander
Re: 105hp chrysler wont pump water?????

When you changed the impeller did you check the inside of the housing, steelplate and the driveshaftseal?
The surface inside the housing and the steelplate must be smooth. Check the tube pick up to the plastic or rubber grommet if it has, so you have got it in the right Place.

BTW The bubbles from reving it up is the exhaust coming out from the snort.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

+1^^^ You may need a whole water pump kit in addition to just the impeller if the water pump casing has any holes in it or is warped or seals/gaskets are in bad shape. Otherwise I think Nordin is spot on.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant

Have you tested deep in a 55 gal barrel, lake, river, etc vs muffs?

Attachments

• A Tell Tale Stream Below A Cover Is Best.JPG
    A Tell Tale Stream Below A Cover Is Best.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tested deep in a 55 gal barrel, lake, river, etc vs muffs?

+1....my Force 40 doesn't pump well with muffs, they just don't fit tight enough, run it in a barrel and it pumps like the Dickens.....I bought a trash barrel at Walmart for $12, cut it 27" tall, and slide it under, no problem.......

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

What year is your 105? Is it a one piece lower unit with prop thrust plate or a two piece lower with a thrust pin drive prop?

If it is a one piece lower unit you need to check the lower water pump plate, There is a separating web which can corrode through, allowing intake water to bypass the pump. If this is the case, you must rebuild the web as a stopgap solution and replace the lower plate and drive shaft seal.