Throttle cable pivot/clamp

NYBo

Admiral
Trying to troubleshoot a problem that occurred over the weekend, I discovered that the throttle cable pivot/clamp (the part that clamps the throttle cable and attaches to the throttle tower) had popped out. I checked my parts motor and this is apparently supposed to be press-fitted, and not be removable. What would be the best way to repair this?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle cable pivot/clamp

This is another example of Chrysler/Force moneysaving by going cheap.

Remove the timing tower. Turn it upside-down. Use a 1/4 inch socket or other suitably sized tool on the top (now bottom) large flat portion as an anvil. Hammer the pin sticking out the bottom (now top) to peen it solid and tight.

Alternatively, you can drill and tap the pin, file it so it is even with the arm, and screw it together--that's a lot of work and re-peening will do just as well.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks, Frank! I was actually thinking of the second solution because I wouldn't have to the remove the timing tower, but I think I'll go with #1.

NYBo

Admiral

Well, that didn't work out as planned. I kept removing parts (shift and throttle cables, flywheel, stator) that were in the way of removing the timing tower, but I still couldn't get it out. I couldn't get a drill bit to bite so I couldn't go with plan B either. So I flattened end of the fastener a little with a hammer and pressed the assembly together with a C clamp. It took a lot of pressure to press it in, so I think it will stay in place.

After all this "learning experience", it appears the root of the problem (motor ran perfectly for about 2 hours, shifted into neutral at the ramp, idle speed slowed, motor stalled and hasn't started since) was the idle speed screw loosening.:facepalm: Hopefully I will have everything back together tomorrow to test this theory. I still needed to fix the pivot anyway.