Force 50 hp tilt and trim being installed. wiring question

ctaylor517

Recruit
I am in the process of installing a force tilt and trim unit on my bluefin sportsman 1700. it's a 50 hp 1988 that did not have tilt and trim originally. I have already installed the proper toggle switch in the dash. (don't have one on the remote)
Do i need to take a hot wire from the ignition to the center terminal of new toggle switch?
There are two red wires coming off the relays on the motor side, I am assuming I can hook those up to the circut breaker that is already on my motor??? or do i need a separate circut breaker?. Looking at some of the other forums, I am hesitant to hook it straight up to the battery solenoid. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50 hp tilt and trim being installed. wiring question

Run a hot wire from the Battery terminal to the center terminal on the switch. This is already protected with the engine circuit breaker. By using the battery terminal you can use trim when the engine is off.

You can attach the two red wires to the battery side of the starter solenoid or you can use the existing circuit breaker--however you do run the risk of overloading the breaker. Better to but a 30 amp circuit breaker from the electronics supply store and use it between the battery side of the starter solenoid and the power to the relays.

ctaylor517

Recruit

Thanks frank, I really appreciate the info. The seloc manual shows to hook up the #8 terminal on the ignition switch. I'm guessing this terminal is always hot. Even when the key is off. One more question if you don't mind, where do the relays mount in the motor compartment. The wires provided on the harness (red and black) aren't that long, and it looks like the relays go somewhere around the spark plugs. Trying to make it look as stock as possible, there isn't much info out there!
Thanks again

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I haven't done too many smaller engines but I seem to remember that the relays do go to the rear of the cowling--don't quote me on that though.