1970 Chrysler 55 hp water pump removal

F150TruckGuy

Recruit
Help!!! I have recently bought a 1970 55 hp chrysler outboard and I need to replace the impeller as it is destroyed. I have the lower unit off and the water pump cover removed (that's how I know what a mess the impeller is) but I can't figure out how to remove the collar at the top of the driveshaft so that I can remove the pump cover and put the new impeller on (see pic). Any help would be appreciated. Thx

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1970 Chrysler 55 hp water pump removal

Please post a Picture showing the collar. I have a 1970 35hp Chrysler (attached) that could be related to your 55hp but do not remember a collar involved.

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain & Non Marked Screw (1).JPG
    70 Chrysler, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain & Non Marked Screw (1).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The collar is a support for a rubber bushing or bellows that seals the drive shaft/crankshaft interface against moisture. This keeps the hardened steel crankshaft from rusting and cold welding the drive shaft into it. Some engines had them, some did not.

Enough! The collar is a light press fit on the shaft and if you get s small punch or chunk of aluminum and gently hammer it radially, (first one side, then the other) it will rock off easily. If you have a long enough gear puller it should work also.

F150TruckGuy

Recruit

Thanks for that. I will give it a try and let you know how I got on. As for pics, sorry but I am doing this from my iPhone and can't seem to add them.

F150TruckGuy

Recruit

Thanks for that. I will give it a try and let you know how I got on. As for pics, sorry but I am doing this from my iPhone and can't seem to add them.

Thanks for the info guys. I now have a new impeller and water pumping out (always useful). I have just finished JB welding a crack in the exhaust cover and am going to run it in the barrel tonight and the river on Sat. Can't wait!!