71 Chrysler 70hp water pump

456SIGN

Cadet
1971 Chrysler 70HP 707HD Where do i start? Took the boat out last week and didnt make it past the break. Apparently the impeller went...but, I didnt know that cause I was having fuel issues and thought it shut down due to that...well, I started it and took off again only to stall again. SO I STARTED IT AGAIN to see if it was spitting water(NO) and it got a little hot with the three attempts. next, a one hour trip back to the launch with the electric motor.
I found an exact replacement at Fairwinds Marina in Maryland. 115.00. I just put it in and got the motor to start but no water is flowing. did I do something wrong? is this common? What do I do?

here's the other thing...I checked compression and got 85 at the top two and only 60 at the bottom...bad rings, huh? I never checked after I replaced the head. so either I scorched the piston rings or the sob that sold me this thing just didnt know how to treat an older motor.
and if so do I give up on the old girl?
I love her but she don't love me back.

I think I need to sell it off or part it out. If anyone is interested in buying it to help their own.... I'd be willing to talk.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 71 Chrysler 70hp water pump

The comp at 85 and 60s is way low??
Get another guage and check it again.
The low one could be just a gasket.
If it really is that bad, first thing remove the head and check the gasket.
An overheat can affect a few things.
If the gasket's ok the check the walls for scoring.
Then remove the covers on the stbd. side and check the pistons for scoring.
If the impeller is new check the thermostat. It could be original and very old.
It getting hot can ruin it too.