85HP Force (Possibly 1989 model) Believe I got a wiring a problem.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 85HP Force (Possibly 1989 model) Believe I got a wiring a problem.

You should get a factory service manual. If you can see the tops of the pistons, you took the head off. Pull starting is only for emergencies, you'll kill yourself trying to pull start that thing. Once you get it spinning at the proper speed you should do a compression test first to detrmine motor condition. Oh ya, get the service manual.

Sarentack

Seaman

Got it full spin, I kind of see what was being said about jumper cables being crap, battery in the boat might be run down enough and needs a good charge.

I got this video of it running full force from the starter:

85 HP Force Full Spin - YouTube

Sometimes it will do this, sometimes it wont, I cleaned out the starter some more, oiled it, changed the 2 screws on the brushes so perhaps better contact can be made.

But as you see, it dont even attempt to start.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Charge battery, make sure you have fuel to carbs, check for spark.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 346.jpg
Pics of a thingy I made to hold the brushes to re-assemble.
The starter,the brushes,they should pop right out of the holder.
The one's suck in there,the screws are dirty/rusty.
The corrosion will stop it from working right.
You say the "cover" at the plugs.You mean the whole head or just the water jacket?Pics?
These motors,if there is low compression on 1 cylinder they can be difficult to turn over.
Sometimes??? If there was ever any water in the lower.It's possible the bearings are galled and it's making it harder to turn over.This doesn't happen all the time but it does happen.
Removing the plugs,any starter even a weak one will turn the motor over.
A battery can read 12/13V and still be bad? Take it to any parts store,they have Auto Zone in Africa? Profile?Location?
Have them load test it?They loan comp testers.

Your video shows a weak starter,weak battery.
The starter:wire brush all parts,spray cleaner,something that doesn't leave any residue.
Make sure the magnets inside,the glue is still holding.
The very end of the armature.small end 1 very tiny bit of grease.The other end on the screw part.a very tiny bit of grease.
NO GREASE/SPRAY inside the bendix.There is a rubber shockabsorber in there and grease or spray will ruin it.

Sarentack

Seaman

25.jpg

Its circled in red what I took off.

Anyway its fully functional, the starter is, it just needed a good charged battery and a good cleaning. May end up needing replaced later down the line though.

But I am back at square one to where I am not getting any spark, took off Black/Yellow wire off Power pack which is the killswitch, no avail, took off the Magneto blue wire on the starter side, still no spark.

As far as I know, the power pack is new, stator is new, if the power pack wiring is correct, I dont know. I just know their is no fire.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pic of the electronics on the motor?
You say power pack?? Only one?
That piece you took off is a water jacket.
Good meter? Then outboard ignition . com
Or CDI ignition either has tests for the stator.

Sarentack

Seaman

THis is someone elses topic on Iboats.com

http://forums.iboats.com/force-chrysler-outboards/help-need-pictures-89-force-85hp-498086.html

Post #6 is what I got, that might be the same engine I got. I cannot make out the wiring on it though to know if its correct or not. I see 2 black wires with yellow stripes on them in that picture on the left side I believe, I think what I got only has 1 of those wires and its somewhere in the middle currently.

Ill go look at that website, I got a good meter to test.

Sarentack

Seaman

little bit of news I just found out.

The Cylinder 3 (bottom one) is firing.

Top 2 are not.

Could it be possible coil pack or trigger?